Our Youth Leads have overall responsibility for Youth Shaped scouting within our District, in order to ensure young people aged 4-24 are involved and engaged in the decisions that shape their Scouting experience. Youth Leads will work to empower young people to share ideas, and be a meaningful voice within the scouting family. Youth Leads are encouraged to regularly attend District meetings and offer the youth perspective where applicable. It is imperative that Youth Leads represent viewpoints from young people at Executive committee meetings, providing feedback where appropriate. A Youth Lead is not responsible for the Network section, but can ensure the views of Network are shared with the District. Youth Leads must be aged 18 – 25.
Our Youth Leads report directly to our District Lead Volunteers and the County Youth Leads They also have full involvement in the District Leadership Team and have full responsibility for the team that they appoint.
The role is flexible, but on average, the role requires 2 – 4 hours per week to ensure young people are given maximum opportunities to have their voices heard.
- Support Youth Shaped Scouting
- Work with the Programme Team to fully embed Youth Shaped Scouting within Chelmsford, running at least 1 District Youth Forum per section each year.
- Support groups and sections in developing youth forum ideas
- Develop Young People
- Help to make sure that Young People get regular opportunities to take the lead; promoting peer leadership and the Young Leaders Scheme
- Support leaders in the delivery of the YouShape award
- Inspire and motivate Young People in the district and make sure they know about all the opportunities in Scouts, including what they can do when they turn 18
- Embed Young People in decision making
- Increase the participation of Young People within the leadership and management of the district
- Wider engagement
- Work as an active member of the district’s Leadership Team, taking part in the preparation and delivery of the District Development Plan
- Support the transition from young person to adult volunteer
This is a challenging role, but a great opportunity for you to get involved in shaping the future of our District.
- Essential Abilities, Skills & Experience
- Be able to lead a team
- Be resilient
- Be self-motivated
- Have the ability to work and engage with Young People and adult members
- Be able to devote attention to the role and its requirements
- Be able to express your opinions and the opinions of others – be objective
- Be an active listener
- Desirable Abilities, Skills & Experience
- To have previous experience in Scouting as a youth member
- To be able to travel throughout the District
- To be open and adapt to change
- Have the ability to overcome challenges – improvise, adapt, overcome
- Be able to delegate where appropriate
We’re excited that you’re interested this role, we can’t wait to hear from you! Please provide your details below and we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible to discuss the next step.